Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Cardiologist: "Remarkably Well"

November 15, 2022, Follow-Up Appointment with my cardiologist this morning

My cardiologist said that I am doing "remarkably well" for not only living with a "time bomb" within my chest before my heart surgery, but also for enduring my two subsequent chest surgeries two months after my heart surgery.

Testing (at his office this morning):

EKG: good
Blood Pressure: good
Blood-Oxygen Level: good
Lungs: good
Heart: good
Body Temperature: low
Heartbeat: fast (normal for me)

Plan: My cardiologist added one heart/kidney pill per day to my regimen of prescription medications; requested that I have general blood testing done with my primary doctor; and he wants me to lose 10 pounds through diet and exercise.

My Three Surgeries (in 2022):

1. My Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, including removal of part of the main vein in my left leg for grafting, took seven hours to complete on March 9, 2022. My sternum (breastbone) was purposely broken so that my surgeon could access my heart.

2. Metal plates and screws attached to my sternum pieces became loose and had to be removed; stainless steel wires were wrapped around my broken sternum; and most of my staph infection within my chest was removed/flushed out on May 19, 2022.

3. My Reconstructive Chest Surgery: The tips of my ribs were clipped; my chest muscle flaps were reattached to my body; and seven sutures were placed in my chest skin to hold myself together on May 25, 2022.

Current Status: My chest is still sore, swollen, and numb. I am expecting to be mostly healed one year after my third/final surgery, so in May 2023. I am still feeling quite weak, so I am still using a metal walker and a transport chair (wheelchair) to get around.

My next appointment is in about four months.

My 2021's Medical Issues:

Last year was medically tough, too. I had three of my four surgeries on my left foot: two to remove bone fragments and scar tissue due to lingering osteomyelitis (bone infection) and removal of a benign tumor that was growing within a diabetic ulcer. My other surgery on my left foot was several years ago to remove part of a decayed bone due to osteomyelitis.

My other medical challenges last year were: kidney failure (both kidneys) with six weeks of dialysis (four straight hours, seven days per week); white blood cell count near zero; hemoglobin and iron levels dangerously low; pneumonia twice; a covid infection; congestive heart failure with severe edema in both of my legs; and a thoracentesis procedure that removed 22 ounces of fluid that was surrounding my right lung the was sucked out through a catheter stuck in my back and into my chest cavity. I was also extensively tested for a possible TIA (mini-stroke). It was also determined that I recently had a silent heart attack due to diabetes.

Many Thanks:

It has been a rugged two years, but I am blessed to be still alive. I am fortunate to have doctors, nurses, physical therapists and occupational therapists, as well as my wonderful wife and my terrific mother, as well as my friends and my family members, as well as God, whose prayers, support, and well-wishes have helped me and continue to help me keep body and soul together for a while longer.

I also thank members of this group for their prayers, support, well-wishes, and shared knowledge.

NOTE: I put a composite photo in the comment section below so that you can see how I have healed in recent months. Tap on photo, and then tap on "See Photo."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...