Saturday, May 13, 2023

Anniversary: 70 Rough Days

May 13, 2023

PHOTO

1. after my first surgery

2. after my third surgery

3. healed externally

(To see this photo, tap/click "learn more," then tap/click "see photo.")

On this date last year was the start (or continuation) of a severely painful and medically challenging period of my life. I entered the emergency room of the hospital on May 13, 2022, and I would not return home until July 21, 2022, spending a total of seventy (70) days in the hospital and at a physical rehabilitation facility.

It started on March 9, 2022, when I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery. When I arrived home from the hospital, I engaged in physical therapy and occupational therapy (at home), followed by cardiac rehabilitation at a nearby facility.

On May 13, 2022, I would enter the hospital with severe chest pains. It was determined that the screws in the sternal plates holding my broken breastbone together had come loose, and I had developed a staph infection within my chest.

On May 19, 2022, a surgeon removed the sternal plates from within my chest and cleaned out much of the infection. A wound vacuum was attached to my chest, sucking out the remaining infection and discharge, running 24 hours per day. My chest remained open for about a week.

On May 25, 2022, another surgeon closed my chest by attaching seven sutures, leaving me with eight holes from my lower neck to my upper belly, plus two drains in my belly.

On June 3, 2022, I was transferred to a rehabilitation facility, where I engaged in daily physical therapy and occupational therapy. The wound vacuum was still attached, still running 24 hours per day, to aid in my healing.

I arrived home on July, 21, 2022, a day before my wife's birthday.

While I still continue to heal, I am (obviously) much better now than I was then. My cardiologist told me that I am doing well.

I am extremely grateful, lucky, fortunate, and blessed to be still alive, thanks to many medical people, and, of course, to my wife and to my mother. Also, thank you so much for your prayers, well-wishes, and support. They truly helped me get through this rough period of my life. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...