Thursday, February 17, 2022

Throwback Thursday: Sugar

Throwback Thursday (a musical memory from those subjectively foggy 1990s): I find it slightly humorous that I have diabetes, and one of my favorite rock bands is Sugar. Do NOT confuse Sugar with The Sugar Cubes, whose lead singer was Björk.

Bob Mould was the lead singer/guitarist of Sugar; he also headed the band Hüsker Dü, named after the board game, and has multiple solo albums. I was first introduced to Sugar in 1992 by a co-worker upon the release of the group's first album (CD) "Copper Blue." I immediately fell in love with the sound of this alternative rock band, especially the song "Fortune Teller" (link below).

Later in the 1990s, after a day of writing about chemicals for a magazine, I attended a solo performance by Bob Mould and his band at Roseland, the old former dance hall in New York City. There were no seats, so everybody just stood there and rocked (moshed?) or just sat on the floor. He played old and new songs, including "Fortune Teller." I was in my mid-30s, surrounded by teenagers and other fans in their early 20s. It was a great concert, an absolute blast, but those in attendance made me feel ancient. I just leaned myself against a wall in the back of the room, wearing my suit and tie with the top button of my shirt unbuttoned, watching the "kids" having fun, and letting the music permeate my soul.

https://youtu.be/37W5OuZaODA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...