Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Remembering Fastnacht

Today (March 1, 2022) is Fastnacht (Shrove Tuesday; Mardi Gras), the last day of the Fasching (Karneval) season. On February 23, 1982, when I was 21 years old, I celebrated this holiday at a gathering of more than 100 people while on a vacation of skiing in the Austrian Alps and visiting many of my Austrian cousins in the westernmost province of Vorarlberg, Austria.

That's me in the yellow, pink, and white clown suit. The woman to my right, wearing the red hat, is my dear friend Cathy from upstate New York, who was visiting along with me. The man in the red-and-white striped shirt and short pants on the left is my Austrian cousin Guntram. The woman dressed in black next to him is his wife, Lisa. The woman in the white wig on the right is Guntram's sister Ulrike. The other people are friends of the family that I met for the first time that night. Incidentally, that night, I danced the polka for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...