Sunday, April 10, 2022

Visiting With Italian Cousins

April 10, 2022 - This afternoon, my wife and I visited with my cousin Filippo (seated right) and his wife Carmela (standing left) at their home several feet from the Atlantic Ocean. They live here in southeastern Florida for several months during the wintertime into springtime. The rest of the year, they live on Long Island, New York, which is where I grew up. (I moved to southeastern Florida in 1998.)

Filippo is the son of my maternal grandfather's sister who will celebrate her 100th birthday in February 2023.

Carmela prepared a homemade, four-course Italian lunch for us. It was absolutely delicious. She even made Italian cookies from a recipe that my grandmother taught her more than 50 years ago. AND she made giambotta, like my grandmother used to make. AND she even gave me a piece of homemade pizza rustica to take home with me; it's just like my grandmother used to make around Eastertime. We also enjoyed Filippo's homemade red wine.

Michelle, one of Filippo's many siblings, stopped by for a visit. She also lives on Long Island with her husband, but they are also here in southeastern Florida for several months.

Many heartfelt thanks go to Carmela and Filippo for their generous hospitality. It was absolutely terrific reconnecting and reminiscing with the Italian side of my family. I have known Filippo and his large family since they moved to Long Island from Italy in 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...