Friday, June 10, 2022

Another Vacuum Change

June 10, 2022 - This afternoon, the wound vacuum dressing was changed from within and on my chest in my room here at the physical rehabilitation facility. (See photo below.) It needs to be changed every three days. I have a tentative appointment with my plastic reconstructive surgeon on June 13, 2022, so I am expecting the dressing to be changed at his office on that date.

HOW THE WOUND VACUUM WORKS: Pieces of foam are stuffed into the wounds within my chest. I have seven sutures within my chest which leave seven open wounds. A long piece of thin foam padding covers my wounds. Medical tape placed on and around the foam forms a vacuum seal. One end of a hose is then snapped onto the foam on my chest with the other end attached to an electric-powered wound vacuum. The vacuum continuously sucks out discharge and infected blood from within my chest. It also helps to heal my many wounds faster by pulling and holding the skin around my wounds closer together.

Recent Medical Events (2022):

MARCH 9: I had Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.

MAY 13: I entered the hospital emergency room with severe pain within my chest and within my central back; also, I was admitted to the hospital on the same day.

MAY 19: I had surgery to have metal sternal plates removed from within my chest; and to have a wound vacuum installed to suck out a severe staph infection from within my chest from my recent open-heart surgery.

MAY 25: My plastic reconstructive surgeon removed the wound vacuum from within my chest; cleaned out the remaining infection from within my chest; and closed my chest by clipping off the tips of my ribs and reattaching my chest muscle flaps to my body. At that time, he installed a drain in my chest; affixed seven sutures to hold my chest together in certain areas; and replaced the wound vacuum.

MAY 29: An associate of my plastic reconstructive surgeon removed the drain within my chest and replaced the wound vacuum dressing within and on my chest.

JUNE 1: Another associate of my plastic reconstructive surgeon replaced the wound vacuum dressing within and on my chest.

JUNE 3: I was transported by ambulance from the hospital to a physical rehabilitation facility, where I am currently residing.

My six-week regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic infusions ends on June 30, 2022, so I will remain here at least until then. I am still dealing with a staph infection within my chest; a blood infection; and lingering osteomyelitis (bone infection) within my left foot. My podiatrist has been monitoring both of my feet with visits to the hospital and now (today) with visits here at the facility.

Also, I will continue to have the wound vacuum dressing within and on my chest changed every three days, which is a rather painful experience. While I am still experiencing constant pain in my chest, even with pain medications, the pain is slightly less than in recent months.

While here, I am engaging in both occupational therapy and physical therapy while lying and sitting in bed. If and when I regain some of my strength, I will be able to stand and hopefully walk.

My release from the facility will ultimately be governed by how healed the wounds in my chest are and, I suppose, my overall strength/weakness.

UPDATE, June 11, 2022:

My last day of intravenous antibiotic is apparently July 1, 2022, because I missed a day in transition.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...