Monday, June 27, 2022

Chest Dressing Change

June 27, 2022

This morning, I was transported from my health care/rehabilitation facility to a nearby wound-care facility on a stretcher via ambulance to tend to the 8-inch-long, vertical incision in my chest initially from open-heart surgery in March, and two chest surgeries in May. I went by stretcher today (and also to my appointment seven days ago) because I still do not have enough strength to go in a wheelchair.

While there, a wound-care nurse and a nurse associated with my plastic reconstructive surgeon tended to me. The wound-care nurse removed the dressing from my chest and took two photos of my wounds using my phone. I think she took a photo for her records. Then, the nurse associated with my surgeon cleaned my wounds with soap and water, and then took a photo to show my surgeon; she also told me that my wounds are healing well and that at my next appointment in two weeks, my surgeon could discharge me from his care. The wound-care nurse then replaced the dressing on my chest and took a photo of my chest with the new dressing. (See below.) The two EMTs who brought me to the wound-care facility loaded me back into the ambulance and brought me back to my room at my rehabilitation facility.

My discharge from my rehabilitation facility is governed by my progress with both physical therapy and occupational therapy. I only have enough strength to walk about 65 feet with a walker before I need to sit down or lie down due to weakness, lightheadedness, and profuse sweating. I need to do better than that to be able to go home.

(NOTE: I had physical therapy this afternoon. I walked 100 feet with a walker, and I pedaled a stationary bicycle while sitting in a wheelchair for 10 minutes. The machine was motorized to pedal for me. In case I wanted to take a break while pedaling, it would continue to move my legs for me. I didn't take a break.)

Also, my six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic for a staph infection within my chest, a blood infection, and lingering osteomyelitis (a bone infection) within my left foot ends on July 1, 2022, so I do not expect to be discharged from the facility until after that date.

My next appointment is in two weeks: 8:45 a.m., July 11, 2022.

Why I Am In Rehab

Prior to arriving at my rehab facility on June 3, 2022, I was in the hospital since May 13, 2022, enduring and recovering from two (more) surgeries last month.

I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022, and two plastic reconstructive surgeries in and on my chest in May 2022. For my surgery on May 19, 2022, my plastic reconstructive surgeon removed metal sternal plates from within my chest due to an infection. For my surgery on May 25, 2022, he cleaned out the remaining infection from within my chest, and he partially closed my chest by first clipping off the tips of my ribs and then by reattaching my chest muscle flaps to my body.

My surgeon used seven spaced-out sutures to close the eight-inch-long, vertical incision in my chest initiated by my open-heart surgery in March 2022 and made worse by my two subsequent surgeries in May 2022, leaving me with seven holes in my chest to heal. My sutures (and wound vacuum) were removed on June 20, 2022.

While my pain has been constant, I continue to heal quite well. However regaining my strength has been next to impossible.

(NOTE: I am at the emergency room of Boca Raton Regional Hospital due to severe pain to the point of screaming and crying in regard to a Foley catheter.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...