Sunday, June 5, 2022

Hospital To Rehab Center

June 5, 2022 - During the late afternoon on June 3, 2022, I was transported by ambulance from Boca Raton Regional Hospital, where I had been since May 13, 2022, to my new temporary home: Heartland Health Care & Rehabilitation Center Of Boca Raton. I have been fighting a staph infection within my chest following my quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022. I endured two major surgeries in May at the hospital. (See below.)

I was told that I would be here at this facility for two months, but I think (and hope) that I will return home sooner. My time here will be determined by how fast the many wounds in my chest have healed and also by the remaining days of my six-week daily regimen of intravenous antibiotic which started on May 16, 2022 and will end on June 30, 2022.

I am receiving an antibiotic intravenously every day for the staph infection within my chest; for a blood infection; and for the lingering osteomyelitis (bone infection) within my left foot.

While here at the facility, the wound vacuum on my chest will continue to run continuously; and the dressing that is within and on my chest that holds the wound vacuum in place will continue to be changed every three days, but at my heart surgeon's office.

The lingering diabetic ulcer/surgical wound in my left foot will often be rebandaged, but it is basically healed. My podiatrist will continue to tend to the lingering and "healed" diabetic ulcers in both of my feet, while I am here.

WOUND VACUUM: Pieces of foam are stuffed into my wounds. Then, a long piece of thin foam padding to be attached to a hose covers my wounds. Tape placed around the foam forms a vacuum seal. The electric-powered wound vacuum is then connected to the hose to continuously suck out discharge and infected blood from within my chest. It also helps to heal wounds faster.

PHOTO: It's me in my bed at Heartland Health Care & Rehabilitation Center Of Boca Raton, June 5, 2022. My wife took this photo of myself.

Recent Medical Events (2022):

MARCH 9: I had Quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
MAY 13: I entered the hospital emergency room with severe pain within my chest and within my central back; also, I was admitted to the hospital on the same day.
MAY 19: I had surgery to have metal sternal plates removed from my chest; and to have a wound vacuum installed to suck out a severe staph infection within my chest from my recent open-heart surgery.
MAY 25: My plastic reconstructive surgeon removed the wound vacuum within my chest; cleaned out the remaining infection within my chest; and mostly closed my chest by clipping off the tips of my ribs and reattaching my chest muscle flaps to my body. At that time, he installed a drain and a wound vacuum.
MAY 29: A plastic surgeon associated with my plastic reconstructive surgeon removed the drain within my chest and replaced the wound vacuum within my chest.
JUNE 1: Another plastic surgeon associated with my plastic reconstructive surgeon replaced the wound vacuum within my chest.

UPCOMING: Tomorrow (June 6, 2022): I will be transported to my plastic reconstructive surgeon's office to change the wound vacuum dressing that is within and on my chest. I am also scheduled to start physical/cardiac rehabilitation, which is basically walking and light exercises.

UPDATE: June 6, 2022

While I did engage in relatively easy physical rehabilitation in my bed today, I did NOT go to my surgeon's office to change the wound vacuum dressing on my chest. That is hopefully scheduled for tomorrow.

UPDATE, June 11, 2022:

My last day of intravenous antibiotic is apparently July 1, 2022, because I missed a day in transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...