Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Success At Rehab

June 14, 2022: SUCCESS

I was slightly successful here at the physical rehabilitation facility this early afternoon. I sat at the edge of my bed for more than 30 minutes while eating lunch. It doesn't sound like much, but it is more than I have been able to do.

A therapist was there to help me. It was difficult because of the pain, the cold sweats, and the lightheadedness. I need to force myself to sit for extended periods of time to readjust my body to a sitting position from just a lying position, so says my therapist.

My therapist told me that tomorrow she will help me to walk. That will be quite a challenge for me, considering I don't even have the strength to stand by myself. I require some kind of support from either a therapist or one of those metal walkers.

Since I arrived at the facility, I have been working with various physical therapists and occupational therapists. So far, I have been minimally exercising while lying in bed in an effort to regain my strength.

I was transported to the rehab facility on June 3, 2022, by ambulance from the hospital, where I was since May 13, 2022, due to two chest surgeries. I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022. My two surgeries last month were to basically reconstruct my chest due to an infection within my chest.

I do not know when I will return home, but it cannot come soon enough. My six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic infusions ends on July 1, 2022, so I will be here for at least that long. However, my release from the facility will probably be governed by the status of my chest wounds and, I suppose, by my ability to physically do the basics of life by myself, such as sitting, standing, and walking.

Thanks again for your prayers and support.

PHOTO: Selfie with my heart-shaped therapeutic pillow, June 14, 2022 ... Whenever I cough, sneeze, sit up, stand, or roll onto my side in bed, I clutch this pillow tightly to my chest for support and to reduce pain. Due to my chest wounds and lack of a sternum (breastbone), I am not permitted to use my arms to elevate or adjust my body unless I hold my arms close to my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...