Sunday, October 23, 2022

Piano For Heart Survivors

October 23, 2022

I am a member of a Facebook group titled "Heart Bypass Surgery Survivors/The Zipper Club." Members have requested that I post videos of myself playing my digital piano from my YouTube channel, so I posted a second video in that group today. Here is the explanation that I posted in that group, along with the link to one of my favorite older piano videos:

I have received requests from members of this group to post videos of myself playing the piano. I have a YouTube channel with 130 videos; almost all of them are of myself playing the piano. I haven't recorded a video since October 10, 2022, which was the first piano video I recorded after my heart surgery in March 2022 and two reconstructive chest surgeries in May 2022. It was a piano improvisation with me telling everyone that I survived my surgeries. I posted that video in this group, as well as for my Facebook friends.

So, I decided to post here one of my better-sounding piano videos from 2013: "Over The Rainbow" from the 1939 movie "The Wizard of Oz."

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), the video came out sideways. Also, in the video, I seem a bit funky in the head. I think it was the result of fatigue and the effects of diabetes, possibly a too high or too low blood-sugar level. I assure you: NO alcohol or other substances were involved. Actually, my mental state at that moment probably made me play better, without inhibition.

I do like the way this sounds, which is not usually true of my other piano videos on my YouTube channel. In this video, as usual, I am "faking it," meaning: I am playing the written melody with my right hand, but with my left hand, I am improvising, following the written chords. I am making it up as I go along. This means I can never play a song exactly the same way twice.

I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what you think of it.

https://youtu.be/Gr4tyrgigi8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...