Thursday, January 12, 2023

R.I.P. Bonnie Bell

January 12, 2023

Oh, wow. I am shocked and absolutely heartbroken. When I was a teenager in the 1970s, Bonnie was a huge part of my life for two to three weeks every July as I attended the Golfari (golf school/summer camp) every year. She created many fond memories for so many people. Prayers are en route. When I was a golf instructor / counselor-in-training at Pine Needles in July 1981, I had the honor and pleasure of playing a round with her husband, pro golfer Pat McGowan. I shot an 82. He shot a 64, which was the course record (at the time).

*****

Bonnie Bell McGowan, 1954-2023

The Pine Needles and Sandhills golf community have heavy hearts today with the passing of Bonnie Bell McGowan with her family at her side. Bonnie learned to play golf as a toddler from her mother, World Hall of Fame member Peggy Kirk Bell, and the game was a huge part of her life, as were the staff and guests at Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club. Bonnie followed in her Mom’s footsteps, teaching the game to thousands via the Ladies Golfari schools with a passion that showcased her love of teaching and helping others. She played for the University of North Carolina golf team and was a long-time supporter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Bonnie is survived by her husband, Pat McGowan, son Michael, daughter Scotti, grandson James “Bullet,” siblings Peggy Ann Miller (Kelly) and Kirk Bell (Sallie Beth), and the many nieces and nephews she loved so much. Additional information will be posted on our website, www.pineneedles-midpines.com when plans for a memorial service have been finalized.  In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that Memorials be directed to two of her favorite organizations, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes https://my.fca.org/dawnsanto and The Peggy Kirk Bell Girls Golf Tour via Girls Golf of America www.girlsgolfofamerica.org/donate


No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...