Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Side Effects: Montelukast

March 29, 2023

A Pharmaceutical Cautionary Tale: I am back to taking Montelukast tablets, also known as Singulair, to control my asthma, as per a pulmonologist at the hospital. I tried this remedy several years ago, but I decided to stop due to either experiencing side effects or concern (fear) that I would experience them. I don't remember. Well, I am trying it again.

The FDA issued a "Black Box Warning" for "serious mental health side effects." Some of the many psychological side effects of this prescription drug are: agitation, aggression, or hostility; attention problems; restlessness; nightmares; depression; anxiousness; hallucinations; memory problems; sleepwalking; trouble sleeping; and suicidal thoughts or suicide. It sounds like "fun." Seriously, I know enough to stop taking it if I start to get "freaky." Actually, I could just enjoy the hallucinations for a while, unless there are scary monsters. (just joking)

Also, I post this as a warning in case you are taking this asthma medication or are considering it. Be careful with this one.

By the way, some of the physical side effects are: upper respiratory infection; fever; headache; sore throat; cough; stomach pain; diarrhea; ear infection; flu; runny nose; and sinus infection. They are not much fun, either.

Why am I taking this drug again? Oh, yeah: for my asthma. Wish me (and my wife) luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...