Thursday, April 27, 2023

Medical Update

April 27, 2023, evening, Day 7, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Boca Raton, Florida

Medical Update

Yesterday's radioactive body scan test determined that I have avascular necrosis (death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply) in a bone or bones in my right ankle due to one or two recent falls. The scan also discovered inflammation in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. (Last year, I was diagnosed with gall stones, but this seems unrelated. There was mention of my appendix.)

A recent MRI found that I have hairline fractures in both my tipia and fibula bones in my right ankle. I have been receiving around-the-clock intravenous antibiotics for a cellulitis infection in my right ankle due to a lingering diabetic ulcer (wound), along with tendonitis (tendon inflammation). I have now been switched from two antibiotics to one antibiotic. I receive somewhat strong oral pain medications.

Even though there aren't any definitive signs of osteomyelitis (bone infection), my podiatrist still wants me to start a six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotics. He has mentioned concern about one of the toes of my right foot.

I have been hospitalized many times during recent years with cellulitis infections within both of my legs, separately, due to lingering diabetic ulcers in both of my feet. I have done the six-week-long program several times, which requires the installation of a PICC line. When I did this regimen in early 2021, both of my kidneys stopped functioning. I required six weeks of dialysis (four straight hours, seven days per week) before my kidneys regained functionality.

I have had four surgeries on my left foot: one to remove a decayed bone due to osteomyelitis from a lingering diabetic ulcer; two to remove a toe joint and bone fragments due to osteomyelitis; and one to remove a benign tumor that was growing within a diabetic ulcer.

I had a chest X-ray today to check for pneumonia. I have asthma/COPD, so I have been receiving nebulizer treatments and taking an asthma pill, as I do at home.

My cardiologist visited with me today and told me that all is well in his regard. I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery in March 2022, followed by two reconstructive chest surgeries in May 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...