Sunday, July 30, 2023

Video: Nebulizer

Sunday, July 30, 2023, Delray Medical Center, Delray Beach, Florida: I recorded a short video from my hospital bed for my YouTube channel. This video shows me this morning partially partaking in a breathing treatment, as I have been doing a few times per day here in the hospital, similar to what I do at home. I have included some text below as a medical update to explain why I am here in the hospital.

Nebulizer Treatment (July 30, 2023)

Here at Delray Medical Center in Delray Beach, Florida, a few times per day, I receive breathing treatments in the form of nebulizer treatments. This includes a steroidal mist that I inhale to reduce my lung inflammation and/or a bronchodilator mist (Albuterol) to relax and increase the capacity of my lungs. I have also been taking steroid pills for my lungs and for my right-ankle fractures.


At home, I use a bronchodilator (also Albuterol) in my nebulizer,  but I don't use a nebulizer steroid. In addition, I use a prescription of a powdered bronchodilator (also Albuterol) and a powdered steroid. I also occasionally use a personal emergency inhaler that contains Albuterol.

(I have been in the hospital for about two weeks.)

I am now also working with my infectious-disease doctor and with my podiatrist in regard to fractures of my Tibia and Fibula in my right ankle from two falls in April 2023. My podiatrist scheduled a bone biopsy of my Tibia for tomorrow (Monday, July 31, 2023). A recent MRI discovered fluid within my ankle.

On and off, at home, I have been wearing a knee-high medical boot to support the fractures in my right ankle. My infectious-disease doctor and my podiatrist requested that I wear my boot from home. I worked with a physical therapist yesterday, along with a new shoe on my left foot, when I attempted to sit in a chair at the hospital, but the pain in my back was too intense and produced profuse sweating. My right ankle is swollen and is somewhat painful.

My infectious-disease doctor told me that I continue to have a blood infection, so I am continuing the intravenous antibiotic that I have been on since I arrived at the hospital earlier last week; I'm not sure when I restarted it because I have been bouncing around with intravenous and oral antibiotics due to a recent bout with cellulitis in my right foot/leg due to lingering diabetic ulcers. I was receiving a six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic for my cellulitis.

Also, I am dealing with lingering diabetic ulcers, which nurses have been attending to with iodine-based medication. I wear special medical shoes (and orthotic shoes) at home due to my lingering diabetic ulcers. My podiatrist has been tending to them recently at home (and in his office) every two or three weeks for around 10 years.

For some reason, I have been focusing on my sleep apnea difficulties here at the hospital by using a ventilator (on and off) when I sleep. I stopped using it here because it's too uncomfortable. I attempted this sleep apnea thing probably about ten years ago with two sleep studies. I do have a CPAP (sleep apnea) machine in storage, but I haven't used it due to nasal and sinus difficulties. Several years ago, I had sinus surgery, but I never returned to it after I had eight polyps in my nose and sinuses removed. At the time of surgery, I had all eight of my sinuses cleaned and expanded.

I am expecting to engage in another sleep study at home after I leave the hospital, but that's not a critical aspect at this point in time.

I initially entered the hospital due to severe pain due to a herniated disk in my lower back. A doctor here told me that the situation is too small to fix with surgery, so for now, I am using powerful pain medication and a prescription muscle relaxer to survive. My physical therapist tried to help by sitting me in a chair, but the pain was too severe, even with powerful pain medication.

Well, that's about as close to an explanation as I can muster at this time.

DON'T forget about my usual several-times-daily injections of insulin.

https://youtu.be/OYDfw8PfHuA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...