Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Back In Hospital

August 29, 2023: No kidding. I am back in the hospital.

This morning, I had a follow-up appointment at the Florida Pain Management Institute regarding the severe pain in my lower back, about two weeks after being prescribed there with an opioid pain medication, as well as another pain medication for my diabetic neuropathy (numbness and pain) in both of my feet, and also a muscle relaxer for my lower back.

My pain is so severe that I cannot stand without screaming, even with the support of a walker. I can't even straighten my legs in bed without severe pain. Just lying in bed is painful, even with opioid pain medication.

During my appointment this morning, the head physician at the Institute suggested that I go directly to the hospital's Emergency Room. He told me that the amount of (opioid) medication I would require to control my severe pain would cause me to stop breathing, so he could not prescribe stronger medication.

A few weeks ago, I was in the Delray hospital for two weeks with severe lower back pain. Testing (X-rays, CT scan) found that I have an inoperable herniated disk in my lower back and also arthritis in my lower back. The physician at the Institute told me that there has to be something more going on that is causing my severe pain, so I should have further testing at the hospital. (I just had a CT scan of my back, frontways, at the hospital.)

I was discharged from this hospital about three weeks ago after a two-week visit with exactly the same severe pain in my lower back as when I went in.

However, it was determined during that time that I have a blood infection and possible osteomyelitis (bone infection) in my right ankle. I fractured my two bones (Tibia and Fibula) in my right ankle during two falls in April 2023. My podiatrist told me there is fluid in my right Tibia fracture, which could mean osteomyelitis, so he thought it was best for me to undergo yet another six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic through an 18-inch-long PICC line in my upper left arm which my wonderful wife has been administering every day at home. I have endured this regimen many times in recent years for cellulitis (infection) and osteomyelitis in my feet/legs individually due to lingering diabetic ulcers in both of my feet.

The physician at the Institute told me that I could have an infection in my lower back.

UPDATE: The result of my CT scan today shows that I may have an infection in my lower spine. I then completed an MRI of my lower back to verify and provide more information. (no results yet)

NOTE: I was thinking that it could possibly be sciatica. Anyway, a shot of morphine through my PICC line directly into my bloodstream temporarily relieved my pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...