Thursday, August 3, 2023

Home From The Hospital

August 3, 2023: I'M HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL !!! (selfie: me at home)

I was discharged from Delray Medical Center, Delray Beach, Florida, this late afternoon. I was admitted to the hospital with severe, lower-back pain (an inoperable herniated disk) on July 18, 2023, and I left today with severe, lower-back pain AND an 18-inch-long PICC line in my upper left arm through the veins in my chest for a six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic (at home) to address a blood infection, which I think is now mostly cured from the antibiotic infusions at the hospital, and possible osteomyelitis (bone infection) in my fractured right Tibia. (Scans have shown possible fluid.)

I fractured the Tibia and the Fibula bones of my right ankle from two falls in April 2023. I have been wearing (off and on) a knee-high, plastic boot.

At the help of my podiatrist, I have been dealing with lingering diabetic ulcers in both of my feet for many years. I have been through this six-week-long regimen many, MANY times for infections (cellulitis and/or osteomyelitis) in both of my feet/legs individually. I hope this is the last time.

Anyway, my back is slightly better now, but pain still requires me to use a cage walker to ambulate.

Many thanks go to my wonderful wife, my terrific mother, the medical staff at Delray Medical Center, and, specifically, to my podiatrist and to my team of infectious-disease doctors. I will reserve judgement of those rugged, Haitian lady nurses on the night shift. OUCH !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...