Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Medical Update

August 30, 2023: Medical Update

Through imaging (CT scan, MRI), my back doctor has determined that the severe pain in my lower back is being caused by an infection (an abscess) in one of my disks in my (lower) spine and minor osteomyelitis (bone infection) in the surrounding spinal bone.

I am already fighting a blood infection and possible osteomyelitis within a fracture of my right Tibia, where fluid has been seen in recent scans. My right Fibula is also fractured. I fractured both ankle bones during two falls in April 2023.

I am already in the midst of a six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic for my possibly infected ankle bone, as prescribed by my podiatrist. My spine doctor told me that this antibiotic regimen will also address the infection in my lower spine, so nothing more needs to be done. He added that my disk looks strong, so surgery will only be necessary if the disk gets weak. The disk's status is about the same as one month ago, which means it hasn't weakened. That's good news.

I have endured this antibiotic regimen many, MANY times in recent years for cellulitis (infection) and osteomyelitis in my feet/legs individually due to lingering diabetic ulcers in both of my feet.

I am quite happy to now know the source of my pain. While my situation is not good, it could be much worse.

Thank you for your prayers and well-wishes. Special thanks go to my wife and to my mother for their unceasing help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...