Saturday, August 5, 2023

What's Going On Today?

August 5, 2023: Today is National Sunflower Day (First Saturday in August).

My maternal grandfather, who lived on Long Island, New York, loved sunflowers because they reminded him of his hometown: Sturno, Italy. In July 1970 with my parents when I was nine years old, I visited my maternal great-grandparents (and many cousins) in Sturno.

In 1992 in New York City, when I first became a reporter, writer, and editor for an international, weekly magazine on the technical and financial aspects of the chemical industry, my job title was "Oils, Fats, and Waxes Editor," so I often wrote about sunflowerseed crops in regard to sunflowerseed oil production for industrial-lubrication purposes. From my start at this job in 1992 to when I left for a better job (and company) in 1996, I was sidetracked to the position of "Flavors and Fragrances Editor," then promoted to the position of "Heavy and Agriculture Chemicals Editor," and then promoted to the highest Editor position: "Market Research Editor."

August 5, 2023: While I have mildly experimented, I always return to tighty whiteys (briefs).

August 5, 2023: Today is National Mustard Day (First Saturday in August): My favorite mustard is Lustenauer Seft (Mild), made in Lustenau, Austria, in the westernmost province (Vorarlberg) of Austria from where my Austrian cousins  are. I have enjoyed it many times while on many vacations to Austria to visit my many Austrian cousins and to go skiing in the Austrian Alps.

August 5, 2022: I would like to try Mead.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...