Friday, September 1, 2023

Surgery Tomorrow

September 1, 2023: SURGERY TOMORROW, late morning or early afternoon

DAMN !!! After physicians reviewed a CT scan and an MRI of my lower back, they determined that I require surgery to remove (clean out) an infection in one of my spinal disks and in the surrounding bone (osteomyelitis). I haven't been able to even stand up without severe pain for the last two months. I entered the hospital twice in the last month or so with severe back pain. I was in the hospital for two weeks, went home for about a week, and now I have returned.

My spinal surgeon told me that the infection is narrowing my spinal canal, which is causing my pain. During the 45-minute-long surgery tomorrow, he will make a one-inch incision in my lower back and then clean out the infection. He will then add a chemical that will cause the bone to fuse. I will only require an external brace for support.

I am already fighting a blood infection and possible osteomyelitis within a fracture of my right Tibia, where fluid has been seen in recent scans. My right Fibula is also fractured. I fractured both ankle bones during two falls in April 2023.

As prescribed by my podiatrist, I am already in the midst of a six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic for my possibly infected ankle bone.

My spinal surgeon told me that while this antibiotic regimen is also addressing the infection in my back, that infection has become worse over the past month, hence the need for surgery. He told me that my blood infection probably caused the infection in my spine.

I have endured this antibiotic regimen many, MANY times in recent years for cellulitis (infection) and osteomyelitis in my feet/legs individually due to lingering diabetic ulcers in both of my feet.

This time, I am expecting to continue with the intravenous antibiotic for longer than six weeks because of tomorrow's surgery.

If the osteomyelitis in my lower spine can't be stopped, I would require more invasive surgery to receive internal support of my spine, specifically metal braces.

EXTRA INFO: I have been receiving the daily intravenous antibiotic through an 18-inch-long PICC line in my upper left arm in the hospital and at home. Unfortunately, it had to be removed because it could contain an infection that could screw up my surgery. So, now I will receive a special intravenous port called a PowerGlide midline (in my upper left arm) that is four inches long. When my blood infection clears, that port will be removed, and I will receive another PICC line to continue my daily intravenous antibiotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...