Thursday, October 19, 2023

Braced For Therapy

October 19, 2023: The Isles Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Boynton Beach, Florida (https://ibnrc.org/): Here I am, sitting at the edge of my bed in my room this morning, ready to start (continue) my daily regimens of physical therapy and occupational therapy.

(My physical therapist took this photo of myself.)

Actually, as a warm-up, my physical therapist helped me with leg exercises in bed. He then put my back brace on me and had me walk with a walker out of my room and partially down the hallway. He then had me sit in a wheelchair, so he could wheel me to my occupational therapist for some arm exercises: rolling my arms with a machine and also lifting exercises with a three-pound weight.

I experienced weakness and pain despite powerful (opioid) pain medications (a Percocet pill and a Fentanyl patch). I may have further therapy later today.

My back brace goes around my body to, of course, support my spine. As usual, I am also wearing my special padded/Velcro shoes as per my podiatrist to prevent the further formation of diabetic ulcers. I have been wearing these shoes, and similar shoes, for many years, because I have been struggling with diabetic ulcers for many years.

My second spinal surgery on October 6, 2023, took six (6) hours to complete (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.) and involved the placement of titanium plates, titanium screws, and a long titanium rod affixed to my spine by my spinal surgeon due to osteomyelitis (bone infection) in three sections of my spinal bone. My surgeon told me that my spine was "collapsing."

The incision in my back (34 centimeters long/13.3858 inches long) was then closed by my plastic surgeon so that the metal pieces do NOT form bumps that stick out of my skin.

My first spinal surgery was on September 2, 2023, when I had an infection (an abscess) removed/cleaned out in one of my spinal disks in my lower back. It was discovered at that time that I had osteomyelitis in that area of my spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...