Tuesday, October 3, 2023

PICC Out; Midline In

October 3, 2023: My most recent blood test (early today) determined that I (still) have a staph infection in my blood, so, this afternoon, my PICC line in my left arm needed to be replaced with a PowerGlide midline, which is shorter than a PICC line. When an infection is discovered in the blood, the line needs to be changed because bacteria can collect at the end of the line and cause problems.


I need to finish my six-week-long regimen of twice daily intravenous antibiotic for the infection initially in my blood, which I thought was cured, and (possibly) in one of two fractures in my right ankle, and more recently, an infection in a disk in my lower spine and osteomyelitis (bone infection) in the surrounding bone. I think I am about five weeks into my regimen, but my regimen may have changed due to my current condition. My nurse just told me that as of today, I am receiving a second "antibiotic" which binds itself to bacteria in the blood.

I had surgery to remove/clean out the spinal infection on September 2, 2023. I am back in the hospital as of yesterday, tentatively scheduled for similar surgery on October 6, 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...