Thursday, November 30, 2023

Does Infection Linger?

November 30, 2023, home

I returned home from an appointment with my infectious-disease doctor this late afternoon. I was expecting to have removed the PICC line in my upper left arm near my shoulder, but that was NOT to happen.

I still have a deep hole in my back that goes all the way to my spinal bone due to two recent spinal surgeries. This wound, shown in the photo below, is part of the almost 14-inch-long incision from my second spinal surgery.

(To see this photo, which really isn't graphic, tap/click on "Learn more," then tap/click on "See photo." My home nurse took this photo.)

Because I still have this serious wound in my back, my infectious-disease doctor took a culture. If the result is negative for infection, he will prescribe for my home nurse to remove my PICC line. If positive, I will require two, four, or even six more weeks of daily intravenous antibiotic.

I completed thirteen weeks of daily intravenous infusions of various antibiotics yesterday: first for a blood infection and possible osteomyelitis (bone infection) in one of two fractures in my right ankle (six weeks); second for osteomyelitis in my spine (six weeks with one week overlap); and third for the wound in my back (two weeks). I received these infusions at a hospital, at a physical rehabilitation facility, and at home.

For the past two weeks, my home nurse administered the infusions and changed the bandage on my back every day at home. She administered my last infusion yesterday; she was here this morning to just change my bandage. She will continue to change my bandage every day and possibly restart administering my intravenous antibiotic infusions, if required.

My first spinal surgery was on September 2, 2023, when I had an infection (an abscess) removed/cleaned out in one of my spinal disks in the lumbar (lower) region of my spine. It was discovered at that time that I had osteomyelitis in that area of my spine.

My second spinal surgery, which was on October 6, 2023, took six hours to complete: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It involved the placement of a titanium rod affixed to my spine with screws by my spinal surgeon due to osteomyelitis in three lumbar (lower) sections of my spinal bone. My surgeon told me that my spine was "collapsing" and that I required this serious surgery immediately.

The 34-centimeters-long/13.3858-inches-long incision in my back was then closed by my plastic surgeon so that the metal pieces do NOT form bumps from pushing against my back from the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...