Tuesday, November 7, 2023

OT This Afternoon

November 7, 2023: The Isles Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Boynton Beach, Florida (https://ibnrc.org/)

Here I am, engaging in occupational therapy this afternoon. I also have been engaging in physical therapy. As you can see, I am wearing a brace around my body. I am also wearing special shoes, which I have been wearing for years, as per my podiatrist to prevent the recurrence of diabetic ulcers.

Occupational therapy deals with strengthening the upper body, focusing on the arms, in an effort to be able to take care of oneself. Physical therapy deals with strengthening the legs and the core of the body. I have been here at the rehab center for a few weeks. I am to the point where I can walk short distances with a frame walker and basically take care of myself, except I still don't have the strength to push myself out of bed.

I am living here at the physical rehabilitation facility following two recent spinal surgeries. I have no idea when I will return home.

My second spinal surgery, which was on October 6, 2023, took six (6) hours to complete: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It involved the placement of titanium plates, titanium screws, and a long titanium rod affixed to my spine by my spinal surgeon due to osteomyelitis (bone infection) in three lumbar (lower) sections of my spinal bone. My surgeon told me that my spine was "collapsing" and that I required the serious surgery immediately.

The incision in my back (34 centimeters long/13.3858 inches long) was then closed by my plastic surgeon so that the metal pieces do NOT form bumps that stick out of my skin. It has been healing quite well.

My first spinal surgery was on September 2, 2023, when I had an infection (an abscess) removed/cleaned out in one of my spinal disks in my lower back. It was discovered at that time that I had osteomyelitis in that area of my spine.

(My occupational therapist took this photo of myself.)

UPDATE: There's a better photo in the comment section below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...