Thursday, November 23, 2023

Pecan Pie & Ambrosia

November 23, 2023, home, Thanksgiving Day

Here I am getting ready to enjoy a big piece of pecan pie and ambrosia salad. (The piece of pie was too large for me to finish.) 

Why pecan pie and not pumpkin pie? I'll tell you why.

My decades-long, personal tradition forbids me from eating pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving Day. Also included in my tradition is that I must eat pumpkin pie on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day. Actually, I allow myself to eat pumpkin pie on any date throughout the year, except on Thanksgiving Day. Why? Because pumpkin pie is mentioned in the song "Sleigh Ride," which I considered to be a Christmas song when my age was in single digits in the 1960s. As an adult, I realized, I think in the mentally foggy 1990s, that in reality, this song technically isn't a Christmas song. Now at age 62, I am once again following my childhood tradition today (November 23, 2023) on Thanksgiving Day, as I have done every holiday season since the late 1960s. Of course, I will continue to follow my tradition during every future holiday season. (My mother often makes a pumpkin cake around Thanksgiving or Christmas, which is like pumpkin bread but with chocolate chips and on top chopped walnuts and a sugar glaze.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...