Thursday, December 7, 2023

Medical Update

December 7, 2023, at home

(medical update)

The healing of the wound in my back from two recent spinal surgeries is progressing fairly well. I am still dealing with a small hole within the almost-14-inch-long incision from the second surgery. The hole was open all the way to my spinal bone on November 30, 2023, but it continues to slowly close. My home nurse told me today that it is draining less and less, so she has now been changing my bandage every other day instead of every day. Also, my wound is not as deep as it was.

I constructed this composite photo to show you my healing progress. If Facebook blurred it, to see these photos, which really aren't graphic, tap/click on "Learn more," then tap/click on "See photo."

My physical therapist helps me to get strong at home every Wednesday and Friday. However, my real struggle now is dealing with withdrawal symptoms from opioid pain medication (Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and Fentanyl), which include agonizing muscle aches, convulsions, and anxiety.

I have two electrodes stuck to my back that are connected by wires to a small, electronic bone stimulator.

After enduring five surgeries in the last two years, I am still somewhat weak. I am better than I was, but I am still not well. In addition to my two spinal surgeries this year (2023), I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery in March 2022 and two chest surgeries in May 2022.

My first spinal surgery was on September 2, 2023, when I had an infection (an abscess) removed/cleaned out in one of my spinal disks in the lumbar (lower) region of my spine. It was discovered at that time that I had osteomyelitis (bone infection) in that area of my spine.

My second spinal surgery, which was on October 6, 2023, took six hours to complete: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It involved the placement of a titanium rod affixed to my spine with screws by my spinal surgeon due to osteomyelitis in three lumbar (lower) sections of my spinal bone. My surgeon told me that my spine was "collapsing" and that I required this serious surgery immediately.

The 34-centimeters-long/13.3858-inches-long incision in my back was then closed by my plastic surgeon so that the metal pieces do not form bumps from pushing against my back from the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Piano Improv

September 18, 2024, at home Piano Improv: 2nd in 3 Days (Sept. 18, 2024) I created and uploaded a video onto my YouTube channel of myself p...