Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Physical Rehab: Progress

December 12, 2023, at home

PHOTO: selfie, at home, today

PROGRESS: This morning, aided by my physical therapist, I performed leg exercises for the first time at home while seated in my wheelchair instead of while lying in bed as I have been doing. She comes twice per week to guide me. I exercise by myself on the other days. Eventually, I hope to be able to stand with support from a frame walker; then stand without support; walk with support from a walker, and then walk without support.

Several weeks ago, I attempted to exercise my legs and arms every day while I was temporarily living in a rehabilitation facility. I requested discharge because I believed that I was getting worse. I was. Rehab at home is proving to be more beneficial.

My first spinal surgery was on September 2, 2023, when I had an infection (an abscess) removed/cleaned out in one of my spinal disks in the lumbar (lower) region of my spine. It was discovered at that time that I had osteomyelitis (bone infection) in that area of my spine.

My second spinal surgery, which was on October 6, 2023, took six hours to complete: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It involved the placement of a titanium rod affixed to my spine with screws by my spinal surgeon due to osteomyelitis in three lumbar (lower) sections of my spinal bone. My surgeon told me that my spine was "collapsing" and that I required this serious surgery immediately.

The 34-centimeters-long/13.3858-inches-long incision in my back was then closed by my plastic surgeon so that the metal pieces do not form bumps from pushing against my back from the inside. The incision is mostly healed, except for a deep hole in my back. My home nurse who comes here every other day tells me that it is healing well.

After enduring five surgeries in the last two years, I am still somewhat weak. I am better than I was, but I am still not well. In addition to my two spinal surgeries this year (2023), I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery in March 2022 and two chest surgeries in May 2022.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...