Sunday, February 4, 2024

Happy Birthday, Uncle Don

February 4, 2024, at home

Happy Birthday to my dear Uncle Don. We weren't related. He was my dad's close friend and was a significant part of my youth, even though he didn't visit us all that much. I can still see him in my mind pulling into our driveway when I was a kid in his Volkswagen bus.

I had the opportunity to work with him and his niece Jenny in my dad's ice cream store in the mid- to late 1980s, when I was in my mid- to late 20s, when I was studying for my master's degree in journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri. I graduated in May 1988. R.I.P. Uncle Don.

He was nicknamed "Smokey" because he worked in food services at various universities and developed a program stating that "Smokey says don't waste food."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...