Thursday, April 18, 2024

In Hospital ... Again

April 18, 2024, Delray Medical Center, Delray Beach, Florida

I was transported by emergency ambulance last night to Delray Medical Center with shortness of breath and coughing. In the ambulance, I received a nebulizer treatment (inhaling a medical mist) and a steroid injection in my left thigh.

This morning, I was admitted and moved into a private hospital room. I have been receiving nebulizer treatments at the hospital.

I have self-diagnosed myself with diabetic ketoacidosis, which is potentially fatal, so I thought it best to get myself checked. I am also dealing with a lingering infection in my swollen, painful right ankle; and swollen, sore thighs which I have had since my second of two spinal surgeries last year.

A blood test last night determined that I have anemia, which is something I already knew from recent surgeries (two spinal surgeries in 2023; and quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery and two follow-up chest surgeries in 2022). In recent years, I have received intravenous infusions of iron, plus blood transfusions, and have taken oral iron supplements, but the anemia persists.

My podiatrist has tentatively scheduled me for a biopsy of my right ankle bone at my home to check for osteomyelitis (bone infection). I am still not mobile due to my spinal surgeries. He told me that the surgical procedure would be less painful when done at the hospital than at home, so I am hoping that he can get it done while I am here at the hospital.

I have already had three surgeries in my left foot to remove decayed bone and scar tissue due to osteomyelitis, plus another surgery in my left foot to remove a benign tumor that was growing within a diabetic ulcer.

About three weeks ago, I finished a six-week-long regimen of daily intravenous antibiotic infusions of two antibiotics three times per day, but it seems like I require more. I have done this six-week-long regimen at least ten times for osteomyelitis in my left foot and spinal and cellulitis (an infection under the skin) in both of my feet/legs.

I still have a 16-inch-long PICC line in my upper left arm/chest. (That's shorter than usual.) It should have already been removed. As long as I may still need it, I'm happy that it's still attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Piano Improv

September 18, 2024, at home Piano Improv: 2nd in 3 Days (Sept. 18, 2024) I created and uploaded a video onto my YouTube channel of myself p...