Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Medical Update

August 13, 2024, Delray Medical Center

GOOD NEWS !!!

I am still in the hospital, battling Congestive Heart Failure, including severe Edema (with three heart medications and high dosages of a powerful intravenous and oral diuretic) and Restrictive Lung Disease (with intravenous and oral steroids, and an inhaled bronchodilator medicated mist, and also supplemental oxygen).

The result of my echocardiogram from two days ago showed that my Ejection Fraction (my heart's strength/ability to pump blood) is 37.2 percent. While that is severely low, it is above the 35-percent-and-lower danger range at which I would require the installation of a defibrillator to strengthen my heart. The normal range is between 50 percent and 70 percent.

Because my Ejection Fraction is 37.2 percent, the tentative plan is for me to stay in the hospital for a couple more days to continue taking the heart medications to strengthen my heart and to continue receiving more of the powerful diuretic to make me expel many more liters of the excess fluid that has been clogging my body. My blood pressure has dropped substantially because of it, with my last reading at 95/55.

I would continue taking heart and diuretic pills at home and then have another echocardiogram done in six months to assess my heart's strengthening progress. This is all not for sure yet. Also, I may need a catheterization, and I have been taking iron tablets for my low hemoglobin levels; there was mention of possible intravenous iron infusions.

Prior to my quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery in March 2022, my Ejection Fraction was at a dangerously low 32 percent.

As for my Restrictive Lung Disease, I am breathing much easier. The medications are helping, plus the release of my excess fluid is relieving excess pressure on my lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...