Thursday, February 17, 2022

Medical Update: Heart

Medical Update (heart):

Yesterday (Wednesday, February 16, 2022), I had another echocardiogram done at the office of my cardiologist. Next Wednesday (February 23, 2022), I have a consultation with my cardiothoracic surgeon at his office in regard to my anticipated, possibly upcoming coronary-bypass surgery (open-heart surgery; 4 or 5 bypasses expected). The day before the bypass surgery, I would have a balloon surgically installed to strengthen my heart.

Initially, my cardiologist told me that I am fortunate that I am still alive to be able to have bypass surgery and that I need 2 or 3 bypasses. My cardiothoracic surgeon told me that I would need 4 or 5 bypasses, but he could not schedule the surgery now because it is considered "elective." I assume that the consultation means my surgery will be soon.

There has been talk between these two doctors of a possible meeting between an electrophysiologist and me regarding (possible) surgery to install a defibrillator (or a pacemaker) to increase my heart's efficiency. I had two heart scans done last year: a multigated acquisition (MUGA) scan in October 2021; and a myocardial perfusion scan in November 2021, both of which determined that my heart ejection fraction (the strength at which my heart pushes blood through my arteries) is dangerously low: 32 percent and 41 percent, respectively. Lower than 40 percent is flirting with death. The scans also showed that I have myocardial ischemia (obstruction by a partial or complete blockage of a coronary artery by a buildup of plaques); and scar tissue on my heart due to a recent heart attack. My diabetes prevented me from even knowing that I had a heart attack.

In November 2021, I had a coronary angiogram/cardiac catheterization (surgical procedure) done for the left side of my heart. A camera was inserted in a vein in my left thigh and pushed up to my heart. The procedure performed by my cardiologist showed much damage to my heart, so he decided at that time that the damage was too extensive to do balloon angioplasty and/or install stents.

For a few months, I have been taking a prescription pill (twice per day) to dilate my blood vessels. It makes my already low blood pressure even lower, so I am often lightheaded. Also, I take a prescription statin pill (once per day) to lower my triglycerides. Also, since I was hospitalized for five days with congestive heart failure, including severe edema in both of my legs, in August 2021, I have been taking a prescription diuretic pill (once per day).

Since December 2020 and throughout 2021, I have been admitted to hospitals eight times. My ailments included: dangerously low potassium levels (requiring many intravenous potassium infusions); dehydration; pneumonia (twice); kidney failure (both kidneys) followed by six weeks of outpatient dialysis (due to a severe reaction to an intravenous antibiotic during a six-week-long regimen for lingering osteomyelitis in my left foot); three surgeries on my left foot (two in one week to remove disintegrated, infected bone fragments due to osteomyelitis, and one to remove a benign tumor); white blood cell count at almost zero due to intravenous antibiotic; a thoracentesis procedure (draining 650 milliliters/22 ounces of excess fluid surrounding my right lung using a catheter/needle stuck in my back and into my chest cavity ... I had the same procedure done on my left lung about two years ago); dangerously low hemoglobin levels and severe anemia (requiring many intravenous iron infusions and almost needing a blood transfusion); testing for possible TIA (mini-stroke ... X-rays, MRIs, an MRA, ultrasound of head, brain, carotid arteries in neck ... I didn't have a TIA); congestive heart failure with severe edema in both of my legs; a covid infection; and more. A few years ago, I had another surgery on my left foot (also due to osteomyelitis) for a total of four surgeries on my left foot so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...