Friday, April 29, 2022

UPDATE: Sternal Plates

April 29, 2022 - After some research, it seems that I am somewhat incorrect regarding the two metal plates that were attached to my sternum (breastbone) during my quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022. The plates are affixed to the sternum using metal screws, so the plates are only in the front of my sternum, not in the back, as I previously thought. That means I have two plates in the front of my sternum. I can feel one in my upper sternum. I do not know if the other one is in my middle sternum or in my lower sternum. These plates come in various configurations, so I do not know what type of plates I have. The photo below is just that of a random sternal plate that I found online.

My cardiothoracic surgeon broke/sawed through my sternum to be able to access my heart. While metal wires are typically used to hold the sternum together, special circumstances require metal plates to strengthen the sternum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...