Saturday, April 9, 2022

Today's Days

When I was a reporter, editor, photographer, and page designer for the Newburgh Evening News in Newburgh, New York, in 1989 into 1990, I would sometimes play chess with this eccentric, gray-haired gentleman in his antique store in Washingtonville, New York, when I should have been scouting for stories and photos for the newspaper.

I would like to take this opportunity to honor my Great-Uncles Rocky and Phil, both of which were prisoners of war in World War II. They both were captured by the Nazis TWICE.

I twice thought about changing my name to:

1. Guntram Hans Mathies: first names of two of my favorite Austrian cousins plus the maiden name of my maternal grandmother

2. Dhanteras Dasa: the name of the third day of the Hindu holiday Diwali (five-day-long "Festival of Lights") plus "Dasa," which means "servant of God"

I don't think that I have ever eaten Chinese almond cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...