Saturday, April 23, 2022

Yesterday: Started Rehab

PHOTO: my cardiac rehab center

Friday, April 22, 2022 - This morning, I had my evaluation (medical history; prescriptions; paperwork) for cardiac rehabilitation. I was to engage in light exercise today, but I didn't because I hadn't eaten breakfast and because my blood pressure was low (90/60). To start, I will do cardiovascular workouts and weightlifting for one hour on Wednesdays and Fridays (in the morning) for at least one month, but I may add Monday mornings.

I endured seven-hour-long, quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022. In recent weeks, I have engaged in physical rehabilitation (legs and core) with a therapist at home and have had nurses make house calls. Both ended last Friday.

I found out from my rehab nurse this morning that my cardiothoracic surgeon installed two metal plates within my chest to hold my sternum (breastbone) together instead of using the usual metal wires. During my open-heart surgery, my sternum needed to be purposely broken (sawed?) in half for my surgeon to be able to access my heart. (For now, I am not permitted to sit in the front seat of a car because if the airbag deploys, I would be in serious trouble.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...