Friday, August 12, 2022

Weak From OT & PT

August 12, 2022 - feeling exhausted

This late evening, my wonderful wife took this photo of myself feeling weak and looking disheveled. This afternoon, I struggled through both occupational therapy and physical therapy, both of which I endure twice a week at home.

Initially, I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022, but little did I know that my medical "fun" was actually just beginning. I required two reconstructive surgeries within and on my chest just about two months later.

For my surgery on May 19, 2022, my reconstructive surgeon removed metal sternal plates from within my chest due to a staph infection. These plates were installed during my initial open-heart surgery and were not replaced due to my chest infection.

For my surgery on May 25, 2022, my reconstructive surgeon cleaned out the remaining infection from within my chest. He then partially closed my chest by first clipping off the tips of my ribs and then by reattaching my chest muscle flaps to my body.

I was in the hospital and a physical-rehabilitation facility for a total of 70 days. I arrived at the hospital emergency room with severe chest pains on May 13, 2022, had the two reconstructive surgeries, was transferred to the rehab facility on June 3, 2022, and returned home on July 21, 2022, just in time for my wife's birthday the next day.

Marie Angela Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...