Monday, October 24, 2022

Happy Diwali

October 24, 2022

Happy Diwali !!! In other words, Happy Hindu New Year !!! I wish you much happiness, health, and prosperity during the new year !!!

My religion is Gaudiya Vaishnavism, also known as Hare Krishna, which is a sect of Sanatana Dharma (Hinduism).

Diwali, also know as Deepavali, is the five-day Hindu "Festival of Lights" which is celebrated this year from October 22 to 26, 2022. The third day (today) is the main day of the holiday, marking the start of the Hindu new year. Diwali, my favorite holiday, falls on a different date every year.

On this day, October 24, 2022, leave your doors and windows open, and put a candle in the window so that Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth, can find you to bestow spiritual and financial prosperity during the coming year. For safety reasons, I use an electric candle every year.

Make sure your home is clean because Lakshmi visits the cleanest homes first.

On a practical level, businesses in India start their fiscal year on Diwali, so their fiscal year starts on a different date every year. Also, today is the only day of the year when gambling is permitted.

To celebrate, I will order Indian food for dinner from a nearby restaurant this evening, as I do every Diwali.

Incidentally, I brought two murti (small Hindu statues) with me into the operating room when I had my quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery on March 9, 2022: Lord Krishna, the main god whom I worship, for blessings; and Lord Ganesha, the elephant god, to remove obstacles.

PICTURE EXPLANATION: I found the picture below online. I liked it, so I decided to post it with my greeting. The "swastika" is a sacred symbol in the Hindu, Buddhist, and Jain religions. It is ubiquitous in India. The word translates to "good life." It's an auspicious symbol of good luck and prosperity.

Each cup is called a "diya" which is a lantern/light. A wick (string) and a little oil are placed within the diyas and then lit to celebrate the Festival of Lights. Sometimes, the diyas are arranged in the shape of a swastika.

Hare Krishna and Namasté

UPDATE: This evening, I decided put a small, electric lantern set on the brightest of two settings in the bedroom window in the back and open the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...