Thursday, October 27, 2022

What's Doin' Today?

Today (October 27, 2022) is Navy Day. My father retired at the rank of Commander after serving for twenty-two (22) years in the U.S. Navy, both on active duty and in the reserves. My mother worked for the U.S. Navy as a civilian.

In the late 1950s, my father served aboard a ship, transporting displaced persons (delayed pilgrims, as he called them) multiple times from Bremerhaven, Germany, to New York City after World War II. After his death in 1997 at age 62, some of his ashes were scattered from a Navy ship into the North Atlantic Ocean, where he spent much of his time with the Navy. The rest of his ashes were interred at Breslau Cemetery in Lindenhurst, Long Island, New York. (Lindenhurst was formerly named Breslau after the city in Germany.)

October 27, 2022

I don't really have a favorite American beer, well, maybe Samuel Adams. At university, I drank PBRs (Pabst Blue Ribbon) because it was cheap. I also went through a short stint with Miller High Life long ago.

I did drink Grolsch long ago, but that's not American.

I never drink Budweiser and Molson due to resultant hangovers.

My favorite beer is Mohrenbräu, which is a famous Austrian beer. I first drank it in my Austrian cousins' living room in Dornbirn, Austria, in the early 1980s, when I was in my early 20s. I have enjoyed it on many subsequent trips to Austria. I have never found it in the United States. Mohrenbräu is brewed in Dornbirn.

https://www.mohrenbrauerei.at/

October 27, 2022

Superstition: It's good luck if a black cat follows you home.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...