Thursday, March 9, 2023

1 Year Since My Heart Surgery

March 9, 2023, First Anniversary of My Heart Surgery

PHOTO: Here I am in the Intensive Care Unit, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Boca Raton, Florida, March 10, 2022, the day after my open-heart surgery. As you can see, I am breathing supplemental oxygen. I have a needle (catheter) stuck in a vein in my neck with some sort of apparatus attached. I am being heavily monitored with electrodes stuck to my body. I also have two electrodes attached directly onto my heart with the wires sticking out of my chest. (My wife took this photo.)

In the comment section below, I have posted a composite photo of my chest wound on three various days. It will probably be blurred by Facebook. Just click/tap on "Learn more," then "See photo," and you will be able to see it.

***

I continue to celebrate life, having survived open-heart surgery and two reconstructive chest surgeries in less than three months last year.

Today is the first anniversary of my open-heart surgery. On March 9, 2022, I had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery. My surgeon first removed part of a vein in my left thigh to be cut into four pieces and used for my heart surgery.)

After my heart surgery, I returned home after about a week in the Intensive Care Unit and in a regular hospital room. I started physical therapy and occupational therapy at home and then soon began cardiac rehabilitation at a nearby facility, using machines to strengthen my arms and legs.

I soon started to experience severe pain within my chest, so my wife took me to the hospital emergency room on May 13, 2022. I was admitted to the hospital, where it was determined that I required further surgery.

On May 19, 2022, a different surgeon removed metal sternal plates because the screws became loose, plus he tended to a staph infection within my chest. The plates were holding my breastbone together, purposely broken for my heart surgery. I think the plates were replaced with wire which is typically used to hold the pieces of the breastbone together for healing. My chest remained open for about a week, with a wound vacuum constantly sucking on my chest to further remove the infection and discharge.

On May 25, 2022, a third surgeon closed my chest. He clipped off the tips of my ribs and reattached my chest muscle flaps to my body. He affixed seven sutures which left me with eight holes in my chest from my lower neck to my upper belly.

I remained in the hospital but was soon transferred to a nearby physical rehabilitation facility on June 3, 2022. I remained there until July 21, 2022, the day before my wife's birthday, after a total of seventy (70) challenging days away from home (not including the heart surgery).

At the facility, I engaged in physical therapy and occupational therapy almost every day, plus wound care which involved the continuation of the wound vacuum continuously (24/7) sucking on my chest, which included excruciatingly painful dressing changes every two or three days. The vacuum was removed shortly before I returned home.

At home, I continued to heal and get slowly stronger with the help of a physical therapist and an occupational therapist ... and my wife's healthy cooking. I never returned to cardiac rehabilitation which was most likely the cause of my medical problems.

I have really only been able to feel some strength starting about three or four weeks ago. I no longer require a walker for support to maneuver at home, but I do still use a wheelchair for longer journeys. Obviously, my eight-inch-long, vertical incision in my chest is healed. The scar is epic. I have been experiencing more pain within my chest these days as my broken breastbone continues to heal. While my lower chest muscles are still sore, most of my chest is still numb. The area that is still numb is smaller than it was, but it is likely that I will never regain total feeling.

I would like to take this opportunity to generally thank everyone who has prayed for me and supported me throughout this rather challenging ordeal. I specifically thank my wonderful wife and my terrific mother for their unceasing love and help.

As for me, I don't require pity. I just wanted to tell you of my medical escapades from last year and to celebrate survival. I am certainly lucky, fortunate, and blessed to still be able to share my story with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...