Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Body Scan

April 26, 2023, afternoon, Day 6, Boca Raton Regional Hospital, Boca Raton, Florida

Today's Medical "Fun"

I am in the midst of a rather long, involved body scan test today. I have had this done before, so I know what's going on.

This morning, after many painful needle pricks in my arms and right hand, enough blood was finally extracted from me for the test. Next, my blood was placed in a centrifuge to extract my white blood cells from my blood sample. Those cells were then made radioactive and injected back into me through my intravenous port at 1:05 p.m. Around 4:05 p.m., they will take me downstairs to scan my entire body. They will look for the radioactive cells that will be congregating at the exact location where my infection is. I was told that this will also determine which intravenous antibiotics will be most effective for me.

Since arriving at the hospital about six days ago, I have been receiving continuous infusions of intravenous antibiotics for a severe and painful cellulitis infection within a tendon in my right ankle due to a diabetic ulcer. I also have been receiving oral pain medications since I arrived.

I recently fell twice, so I am also dealing with the pain of a sprained ankle. It was determined via MRI that I have hairline fractures in both the tibia and fibula bones within my right ankle.

My podiatrist also wants me to have a bone scan to determined if I have osteomyelitis (bone infection) within my ankle bones.

I have been hospitalized many times during recent years with cellulitis infections within both of my legs, separately, due to lingering diabetic ulcers.

I have had four surgeries on my left foot: one to remove a decayed bone due to osteomyelitis; two to remove a toe joint and bone fragments due to osteomyelitis; and one to remove a benign tumor that was growing within a diabetic ulcer.

UPDATE: Before going for my scan, my cardiologist told me (in my hospital room) that I have a rare staph infection within my right foot/ankle and that I have tendonitis within my right ankle. I will ask my podiatrist about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...