Sunday, September 24, 2023

Today Is ...

September 24, 2023, The Isles Nursing & Rehab Center, Boynton Beach, Florida: I would like to take this opportunity to address one of my punctuation pet peeves and also to tell you a somewhat obscure punctuation rule that many people do not know.

PET PEEVE: Please do NOT place a comma between the subject and the verb in a sentence, even if the subject is lengthy. For example, do NOT place a comma in the following sentence:

"The boy who lives down the street in the two-story house is coming to our apartment for dinner."

If you place a comma between the word "house" and the word "is," it is incorrect and is tantamount to writing this sentence: "I, am."

RULE: When making a word ending in "ss" possessive, the method is based on the first letter of the next word. For example:

the boss's chair
the boss' salary

the princess's castle
the princess' secret

Basically, you can have an "s" three times in a row, but not four times in a row. Did you know this rule?

September 24, 2023, The Isles Nursing & Rehab Center, Boynton Beach, Florida: I have eaten Cherries Jubilee many decades ago. I would prefer it with chocolate ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...