Sunday, October 8, 2023

Qatar Grand Prix

Sunday, October 8, 2023: It's 1 p.m. here in southeastern Florida, and I am in Delray Medical Center in Delray Beach, Florida, following spinal surgery two days ago, watching a live broadcast of the Qatar Grand Prix on Sky Sports F1 (on ESPN). This is the 17th race of the 23-race Formula 1 auto racing season for 2023.

Today's circuit (track) is the Losail or Lusail International Circuit located just outside the city of Lusail, north of Doha, Qatar.

The first 16 races were in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Miami, Monaco, Spain, Canada, Austria, Great Britain, Hungary, Beligium,The Netherlands, Italy, Singapore, and Japan.

This season, there are two races in Italy and three races in the United States (Miami, Austin, and an inaugural race in Las Vegas). The Grand Prix in Imola, Italy, earlier this season was postponed due to poor weather conditions: rain and flooding.

Formula 1 racing is the only sport that I actively follow. There are 20 drivers on 10 teams (constructors). Only one driver is from the United States.

The Red Bull team won the Constructors Championship at the Japanese Grand Prix two weeks ago. Max Verstappen of The Netherlands could win the Championship today.

When I was very young, I wrote an essay on the country of Qatar. I picked Qatar because it was the smallest country I could find, and I figured nothing much would be going on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...