Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Today Is ...

October 4, 2023: In July 1981, when I was 20 years old, I was a golf instructor / counselor-in-training at a famous golf school / camp for adults (one week) and children (two weeks, ages 10 to 18, formerly 8 to 18) in Southern Pines, North Carolina. I attended this school / camp almost every summer from age 11 in 1972 to age 19 in 1980. I was granted special permission to attend as a "camper" when I was 19 years old.

During July 1981, I had the honor of playing a round with touring / teaching pro Pat McGowan, who at the time was the boyfriend (future husband) of the daughter of the camp / school / lodge owners. He helped my game immensely. He was like a machine. I shot an 82. He set the course record at that time with a 64. Amazing.

One summer while at camp, I eagled the par four 18th hole at the course there. I hit a long drive and then a strong nine iron. The ball hung on the lip of the cup. By the time my three golfing buddies and I reached the green, it had dropped into the hole.

I got a hole-in-one during the spring of 1980 while at prep school in northern Massachusetts. The hole was about 135 yards. I wrapped a pitching wedge around my neck from hitting it so hard. The ball landed on the front of the green and rolled into the hole.

Also during the spring of 1980, I shot my best score ever with an 80, but if I bend the rules a little, I shot a 79. I was playing in a tournament with a shotgun start. I started on the 18th hole and played through the 17th hole, shooting an 80. I then played the 18th hole again and shot one better. So, legally for tournament, I shot 80, but I shot 79 for the last 18 holes that I played that day.

October 4, 2023: I avoid vodka because it gives me a wicked hangover. My alcoholic beverage of choice is Campari and orange juice over ice and in a short glass.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...