Thursday, November 23, 2023

No Pumpkin Pie Today

November 23, 2023, home, Thanksgiving Day

My decades-long, personal tradition forbids me from eating pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving Day. Also included in my tradition is that I must eat pumpkin pie on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day. Actually, I allow myself to eat pumpkin pie on any date throughout the year, except on Thanksgiving Day. Why? Because pumpkin pie is mentioned in the song "Sleigh Ride," which I considered to be a Christmas song when my age was in single digits in the 1960s. As an adult, I realized, I think in the mentally foggy 1990s, that in reality, this song technically isn't a Christmas song. Now at age 62, I am once again following my childhood tradition today (November 23, 2023) on Thanksgiving Day, as I have done every holiday season since the late 1960s. Of course, I will continue to follow my tradition during every future holiday season. (My mother often makes a pumpkin cake around Thanksgiving or Christmas, which is like pumpkin bread but with chocolate chips and on top chopped walnuts and a sugar glaze.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...