Thursday, January 27, 2022

Throwback Thursday: Ship

Throwback Thursday (fond professional memory): From March 8 to 31, 2017, I was "Web Content Editor / Proofreader / QA (Quality Assurance)" for a cruise ship called The World. I worked this short-term, freelance gig on weekdays in an office near Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Along with another guy, I edited, proofread, and rewrote the ship's Intranet (internal website), as well as checked photos and hyperlinks, for the site's relaunch on April 1, 2017. This particular website is only available to the people on board, so I was not able to see the fruits of my labor.

The vessel (capacity: 150-200 passengers, plus crew) is described as "the largest, private, residential ship on the planet." There are 165 luxury "residences" (apartments) aboard the ship, with many of them used as timeshares. Residents spend their lives cruising around the world, stopping at various ports along the way.

While I was sad that my brief assignment was over, I left with fond memories of an interesting professional and personal experience. What I miss most are the shots of Cuban coffee made by a staff member in the office breakroom. She served it every morning from a tray filled with small plastic cups. It was a strong, sweet fuel that definitely propelled me through an enormous amount of work in such a short period of time.

(Due to disability, this was my last job.)

1 comment:

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...