Friday, September 16, 2022

My "First" Record Album

September 16, 2022

I belong to a Facebook group titled "We Pretend it's Still the 1970s." All posts must be written in the present tense or they won't be approved. I just posted a story about my dad and me in the early 1970s. (My writing is a bit clunky because of the "present tense" rule.)

***

Early 1970s: My dad takes me to TSS (Times Square Stores). I am finally choosing my first record album by myself. I am picking the original Broadway soundtrack for the musical "Hair." I like the red-and-green cover, but I don't know what kind of music it is. He asks me if I really want that album because I am a preteen; I only listen to Bobby Sherman and The Partridge Family albums; and he has seen the (risqué) musical in New York City a few years ago, and he knows what the songs are. I say yes. He says OK and pays for the album. I play it at home. Some guy on the record yells, "What the hell you got that makes you so damned superior!" Wow. I laugh out of shock because there is cursing on the album. (true story)

(cover in comment section): I have an extended version of this album on CD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...