Tuesday, February 14, 2023

No "Happy Loving Couples"

February 14, 2023

"Until the time that I can do my dancing with a partner, those happy couples ain't no friends of mine"

Here is the song "Happy Loving Couples" from Joe Jackson's 1979 album "Look Sharp." (The lyrics are on the screen.) I dedicate it to all of the men for whatever reason who are spending Valentine's Day alone.

As I have mentioned many times before, I was without female companionship from age 20 to age 40, and not by choice, (please, no pity), so I have spent way too many Valentine's Days alone. So, guys, I know all too well how it feels.

Listening to Jackson's anti-love "Look Sharp" album over and over sustained me through my 20-year romantic "dry spell." This song captures the mood better than any other song on the album, maybe except for his songs "Is She Really Going Out With Him," which is the hit from this album, "Fools In Love," and, of course, "One More Time."

I attended one of his concerts in the mid-1990s at Radio City Music Hall in New York City with my friend Tom. That was when I was at the peak of my undesirability (age: mid-30s), so that concert was not only a spiritual pilgrimage but also an overwhelming catharsis.

https://youtu.be/wUTdIRPfRRw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...