Sunday, June 4, 2023

My PICC Line Is Out

June 4, 2023

PHOTO: my PICC line (about 22 inches long) that my home nurse removed this early afternoon from my upper left arm

YEAH !!! Today, I have finished my six-week-long regimen of daily infusions of an intravenous antibiotic through a PICC line in my upper left arm for cellulitis in my right foot/leg and suspected osteomyelitis in my right foot. I started the regimen while admitted to the hospital, using the intravenous drip method for the last few days of my hospital visit and continued at home using the intravenous push method every day. My home nurse administered the dose every day at home.

This early afternoon, my home nurse gave me my final daily infusion and removed my PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter), as per my infectious-disease doctor who approved the removal of the line during my appointment with him on June 1, 2023. It was easier and less painful coming out than going in, the latter taking about 45 minutes, the former about 30 seconds.

The line is 49 centimeters (19 19/64 inches) long inside of my body, plus the 2-inch-long port outside of my body. It starts with the port in my upper left arm, winds through the veins in my chest, and ends near my heart.

I have done the six-week-long regimen many times in recent years for cellulitis in both of my legs and osteomyelitis in my left foot due to diabetic ulcers in both of my feet, once resulting in kidney failure (both kidneys) which required six weeks of dialysis (four straight hours, seven days per week). My kidneys recovered.

I have had four surgeries on my left foot: one to remove part of a decayed bone due to osteomyelitis; two to remove a joint, bone fragments, and scar tissue due to osteomyelitis; and one to remove a benign tumor that was growing within a diabetic ulcer. 

As for now, I am still dealing with two fractures (tibia and fibula) in my right ankle due to two recent falls, and also avascular necrosis I think in my right ankle or somewhere in my right foot.

I also have arthritis in both of my feet, but that's from a past diagnosis.

I am happy my daily infusions have ended. I will feel much better in a few days. However, tomorrow, I will start a short-term regimen of an oral antibiotic: two tablets every day for 14 days. Also tomorrow, I have my final blood extraction for testing. I am surely glad that this is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 19, 2024, at home When I was a kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I enjoyed Snack Pack butterscotch pudding, as well as Snack Pack chocol...