Friday, July 14, 2023

Happy Bastille Day !!!

July 14, 2023: I was in Paris, France, on Bastille Day (basically French Independence Day) with my parents in 1970, when I was nine years old. I remember the top of the Eiffel Tower was closed on that day, so we enjoyed lunch in the restaurant that was about halfway up the tower. My parents and I were on a 28-day trip around the world. We started in New York City and visited San Francisco, Honolulu, Tokyo, Osaka (Expo 70), Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau, Bangkok, (refueled in Calcutta and Karachi), Rome, Sturno (in Italy to visit my great-grandparents and cousins), Paris, London, and then home to Long Island, New York.

I returned to France twice after that: once with West Islip High School on Long Island, New York (a week in Paris on a cultural trip with my French teacher and three girls) in the summer of 1978; and with Villanova University (three weeks to study the French language during the summer of 1984) in a school/dormitory in Massy, France, just visiting Paris on weekends (about 30 minutes by train).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...