Thursday, November 9, 2023

Scrapple Day

November 9, 2023: The Isles Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Boynton Beach, Florida (https://ibnrc.org/)

Scrapple is basically a spicy, pork-based, processed breakfast meat that is thinly sliced and then fried. It's popular in Pennsylvania

I often ate it when I attended Villanova University near Philadelphia from August 1980 to December 1984, after which I received a bachelor of arts degree in communications with a minor in the French language. I studied mathematics and sciences in the pre-med program for two and a half years before changing my major. (I would soon secure a master's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri, graduating in May 1988.)

Even though I like Scrapple, I haven't eaten it much outside of that time period, mainly because I no longer lived in Pennsylvania. It really is delicious, but, like hot dogs, it's best not to know how it is made. The "disgusting" ingredients are pork stock, pork livers, pork fat, pork snouts, corn meal, pork hearts, wheat flour, salt, and spices. Now, I have a craving for Scrapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...