Thursday, April 28, 2022

Eddie Jobson's Birthday

April 28, 2022 - Happy 67th Birthday to Eddie Jobson. As a pianist, I have derived much inspiration from Jobson. He is a vocalist and plays piano, keyboards, and electric violin.

I have been a fan since 1979, when I first heard the debut album by the progressive rock group U.K., with John Wetton, Allan Holdsworth, and Bill Bruford as the other members. For the group's second and only other studio album, Terry Bozzio replaced Bruford, and Holdsworth left the band.

Jobson was also a member of the group Roxy Music, appearing on several albums in the 1970s, and he has been a member of Frank Zappa's band and the bands Curved Air, Jethro Tull, and Yes.

When I wrote for the entertainment section of The Villanovan, the weekly newspaper for Villanova University, in the early to mid-1980s, I reviewed his 1983 album "The Green Album." His playing and singing are absolutely amazing. His 1985 instrumental album "Theme of Secrets" is quite interesting and remains as one of my all-time favorite albums.

Here is a link to his song "Turn It Over" from "The Green Album." After all these years, the song still blows me away, especially his ripping violin solo. The music video for this song is one of my favorites.

https://youtu.be/QJBXNYK4_C4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...