Sunday, November 19, 2023

Nightmare On Men's Day

November 19, 2023, home: "An Odd Story on International Men’s Day"

Today (November 19, 2023) is one of my most favorite days of the entire year: International Men's Day !!! I have celebrated this special, celebratory day every year since the early 1990s, when I officially became a Men's Rights Activist, when I was in my early 30s. I still fight the good fight for men's rights and father's rights, although these days, in a mostly mellow manner.

One particular Men's Day found me in a rather awkward, unnerving situation. Twelve years ago today on a Saturday (November 19, 2011), I attended a strange Eggplant Parmesan-making "party" in southeastern Florida. I thought that it may have been an actual sleep-induced nightmare, but it was real because here is a photo I took outside of the house where this rather bizarre, annual event took place.

Basically, I was the ONLY man in a house filled with seventeen (17) women, and my wife was the ONLY woman there who was NOT a lesbian. (no joke) ... So, there I am, a Men's Rights Activist on International Men's Day surrounded by a whole bunch of lesbians wielding sharp knives. Uh, yeah.

Seriously, I had fun, and everyone was nice, but I will admit that my stress level was through the roof, especially during a rather uncomfortable, seemingly condescending interrogation by one particular lesbian with an icy stare who asked me in a slow, calculating voice: "So, you play the piano," as she cuddled with her girlfriend. I simply replied, "Yes," which was followed by endless silence and continued staring.

Is there a lesson here? Maybe: Step out of your comfort zone. It may be, well, uncomfortable, but ... uh ... I don't know ... something about creating empathy or not ever doing that again, which I never did. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Piano Improv Video

September 16, 2024, at my mom's home I created and uploaded a video of myself playing an improvisation on my digital piano. Due to medic...